Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Third times a charm
There are a few things that are different about my third pregnancy.  For one thing, when people ask how far along I am or similar questions, I often have no idea.  I know that I am, in fact, pregnant and that I will have a baby in the spring, but the interim steps are a little vague.  Not quite the same as with Mariel, when I diligently read up on what was happening every week and sometimes every day. 
Patrick is much more accustomed to some of the ongoing annoyances of having a pregnant wife.  He is not surprised when I become deeply overwhelmed by tasks such as finding my phone charger or getting a humidifier out of the basement. He is also taking my total absentmindedness much easier this time around. On Saturday I took the girls to the mall, telling him I would be back in an hour so that he could take Mariel on another errand.  The second I got in the car I promptly forgot, returning over two hours later with starving, tired children and surprised that he had not already accomplished said errand.
As for me, I am generally less worried about the pregnancy than I ever was before.  For a constant worrier, this is a new experience.  But now it seems silly to worry- from weight gain to changing tastes to nosebleeds to ligament twinges, I have been there before.  And recovered just fine.  And my babies turned out just fine.  Twice.  And if something is not going to be fine, I have somehow realized that it is absolutely beyond my control, and worrying about it will get me nowhere.  I only wish that this sense of assurance and faith could somehow expand beyond the arena of pregnancy!  Perhaps on my third time through life?  Maybe I need to consider a conversion....

No comments: