Monday, May 17, 2010

Eczema wins again.
We have gone from good  to bad to worse.  There was a wonderful 4 or 5 day period of no eczema.  I was excited, thinking maybe something that we had changed, the diet, the new regimine of creams or lotions, or even different pollens in the air, something, was working.  Instead, I think we just got lucky because in a few days the very dry skin reappeared, and then back to red patches and severe itchiness.  And now she is now covered in blisters.  They appeared Saturday morning, and I thought they were tiny inflamed bug bites.  I checked the dogs, took off all of her bedding, and finally realized that if we had flea infested house or dogs, it was likely that someone else in the household would also have at least one bite, and that the fleas might not be smart enough to only bite the parts of her skin with eczema.  It still didn't register that these were blisters until Patrick took her to daycare this morning and they immediately called and said that they needed a doctor's note to say that her blisters were not contagious.  Blisters are a common part of eczema, sadly, so it seems pretty likely that this is just something else we will have to try to figure out.  We were headed to the doctor tomorrow to do blood draws for allergy testing, so now she is home with me and we go to the doctor this afternoon.  Poor girl.
On a more amusing eczema note, I have started putting her to sleep with socks on her hands to keep the cream on and to keep her from scratching herself or chewing on her hands. I thought this would be torturous, but instead she seems to think that it is pretty funny.  She carries her sock mittens over to me and once they are on starts acting as though the are puppets, saying "Ga ga gaaa" in a silly voice and wiggling her hands over and over. 
She does not wear that hat to bed, although chances are good that she would try if I let her.  I have also tried to take pictures of her hands (where the blisters are the worst), but everytime I do so she keeps playing patty cake with the camera.  It is very effective at getting me to laugh, and her to laugh, but it does make taking pictures more challenging than usual. 

1 comment:

Karyn said...

You've probably tried this already but I had never heard of it: American Baby just had articles on allergies, eczema, and diluted bleach baths. Regular household bleach diluted into clean warm bath water-2/3 times a week,is supposed to help kill the bacteria that causes eczema. Google it, I think it was 1/2 cup to 20 gallons water, dry her off and apply creams after. E has eczema too and just developed an inflamation yesterday, I had eczema as a baby too. As a teen I had two episodes of terrible eczema that blistered and then dried and then my skin peeled like a horrific sunburn. I have always felt it to be stress induced... One final thought-E's doctor gave us Eucerin too and whenever we put it in him he screams and cries and says that it hurts him... He's two, but he is pretty clear, so she could possibly be bothered moreby the creams. I hope you figure it out, summer heat is my nemesis...