Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Breaking News: Mariel Eats Soup!
 Bonus News: One Eyed Monsters Return
When I picked Mariel up from school today there was a note taped to her cubby.  It says:
Today Mariel tried veggie soup!  She said " it tastes real good.  Now I like it."
This is probably not shocking for most households.  In our house, this is big news.  The surprise of it is maybe (maybe!) equal to waking up speaking a new language or finding a pot of gold in a flower bed.  Mariel has not eaten soup in two years.  She will try pretty much any food and give it at least one "no thank you bite" before turning it down- except for soup.  She has absolutely refused to touch it since before she turned 2.   I wondered if it was genetic (my mother does not like soup either... we will have to do some research to see if this is an inherited trait)... but maybe it was just an extended phase.  Or some deep ethical opposition to soup that faded?  Oh, to know the mind of a child.
In other equally exciting news, the one eyed monsters have returned:
I love the one eyed monster drawings.  She did a series of them two weeks ago. My favorite was the one eyed monster family (a mom holding baby, dad, big sister, little sister, and brother- each with their very well centered one eye) surrounding a lopsided box.  When I asked what they were doing, she looked at me with suprise and said (because it was really perfectly clear) "Laundry, Mom.  Can't you see that they are doing laundry?"  After the one eyed monster drawings were complete she went into a scissor frenzy, which happens frequently, and before I knew it my precious drawings (which I was honestly prepared to frame) were turned into tiny shapes and shreds of paper.  So once I saw this one today I snagged it and scanned it- even if the scissors come out, I will have my own copy!

No comments: