Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Halloween
and Holden's First Plane Flight
My parents came to visit for Halloween and got a taste of what it is like on Clark Street.  The only downside of my mother being present for Halloween was the Winnie the Pooh outfit that I was expected to wear... and the subsequent pictures on Facebook.  I had students coming in to class the next day chuckling over them.  The lesson they took from class that day: your parents are never finished embarassing you!
Mariel was Belle, Noella was a ballerina, and Holden was a hippo.  By the end of our very short trick or treating spree (about 5 houses) Mr Holden was a very tired and angry hippo, so he missed the rest of the night.  We had our usual fire out front to greet the 200+ trick or treaters who came by with their jokes.  I should mention that we don't even live on the "busy" block of Clark- the one where there are actual lines to get up on front porches, a cotton candy machine, and other excitement. 
My two favorite jokes of the year:
What do you call a fish with two knees?
A TWO KNEE fish.
and
What is a rabbit's favorite restaurant?
IHOP

The next weekend Holden and I headed to Alexandria, Virginia for a quick getaway with some of my dear friends from graduate school.  They are four bright, interesting, and fabulous women who I truly wish I could spend much more time with- harder now that we live scattered across the country.  It was a wonderful, relaxing, and much needed getaway.  It was also Holden's first plane flight, and he did very well.  He slept most of the time in my arms and when he was awake was captivated by the arm rest.  The only frustrating part of the journey for him was that I refused to let him lick said arm rest... but luckily I had other toys that he could play with, too!
 


No comments: