Sunday, September 05, 2010

Mariel's Boyfriend
Mariel and I took a quick trip to go shopping today.  On our way into the store, she told me that she has a boyfriend. 
"Who is your boyfriend?"  I asked.
"Alvin."  She said.
"Isn't Alvin your brother?" I asked, considering the complexities of this situation.
"Not anymore.  This Alvin is my boyfriend."
"Oh," I said, "What do you and your boyfriend do?"  I was actually very curious as to what she thinks about this.
"Oh, you know.  He takes me shopping, and to new countries."  She raised her hands in the air, as though this is a strange question to ask since all boyfriends go shopping and jet their girlfriends around the world on a weekly basis. 
"How did he get to be your boyfriend?"  I asked.
"He likes my clothes, Mom.  He has a lot of nice clothes, too.  And more shoes than me.  And we like the same food, especially carrots.  Alvin is always eating carrots.  And he eats macaroni and cheese, even though he doesn't like it too much.  He eats it because I like it."  I tried hard not to laugh, and will admit that I think boyfriend Alvin sounds like a pretty nice guy. 
"How do you know about boyfriends?" I wondered.
"I just know, Mom.  I learned by myself."  She said.  "And you know what?  Alvin's eight."
And since Alvin is such a fan of shopping, he decided to join us.  In fact, he had to stand his imaginary self next to Mariel for the whole trip.  Luckily he was not thirsty this afternoon, so he didn't need to share her chocolate milk.

No comments: