Thursday, May 06, 2010

B as in Boy
We all know that things change after you have children.  For example, right now as I try to spend 5 minutes on the computer I am being interupted every two minutes to decipher your Mariel's attempt to spell.  Word at the moment: MARFEFNM.  I do not know how to pronounce that. 
Another example: Sleep.  Deep, unworried unstressed uncomplicated sleep.  I think that I used to know what that felt like. 
The big change that I am dealing with right now, though, is what happens to a woman's body after children.  It's just not really the same.  Ever.  No matter what people tell you.  Some new items after baby 2:
My knees ache.
And they have mysteriously developed wrinkles, as though somehow post-pregnancy some extra skin slid down around my knees.  Haven't noticed?  That is because I don't wear shorts unless it is 100 degrees or I don't think anyone will see me. That policy developed after baby 1, with the increase in spider veins. 
My hair curls in the back (note: this means in the back ONLY, as the hair on the front of my head remains perfectly straight).
My belly button just really has never looked the same.
And now, after nursing the second girl I face something that I have truly never faced before, as I think puberty took me from A to D in about 60 seconds.  Pregnancy and nursing took me to the bizarre far reaches of G. Now, I may not recognize myself in a mirror.  I am a B.  I hope those kids really love me.

Follow up to the Daddies Patrick
Patrick (mine) thinks that this sounds like a band, but probably one that only sings Irish music.
His previous ideas of band names were things like "Unemployed in Greenland" and "Chewing on a Ball of Tinfoil" (actually, that might be the first album name).  That was back in his early years, the years of Bon Jovi and the like.  So I guess some things might change for men after children, too, even if they are not subjected to quite the same events as their partners.

No comments: